2.10.2008


Dear Blog,

Forget Armour, yesterday's visit to the Met was all about Arms - and I'm not getting agalmatophilic (learned this word about seven hours ago and I can't believe it's already coming in so handy), I mean guns. Guns covered in woodland scenes, made of five kinds of wood harvested from trees in the 18th century neighborhood where they were used, and encased in backgammonish velvety boxes designed to accompany fabulous outfits appropriate for dueling. My second favorite Arm was a German crossbow winder that looked like a juicer. My most favorite Arm was the double-barrel shotgun from 1846 that incorporates two squirrel-shaped hammers as a cocking mechanism (pictured here). Perhaps someday I can convince someone at the Met to allow me to borrow this relic so that I can modify it to be used with Buck Hunter Pro. It is the possibility of making adaptations such as this that makes living at this moment in time so fun. Yay museums! Yay video games! Yay imagining and reconstructing history! Yay emulating death as opposed to actually causing it!

Love,
nambot

Posted by Posted by nambot at 11:05 AM
Categories:

 

2 comments:

Alison S. said...

What about the bunny helmet?

nambot said...

Schmidt, again, your knowledge of the world astounds me. Everybody on the battlefield runs from the guy in the bunny helmet.

 
>